What is rainwater harvesting? Why should I harvest rainwater? We get asked lots of questions about our concrete rainwater tanks, and collecting rainwater. So, we have compiled a list of frequently asked questions along with the answers to help spread awareness.
- What is rainwater harvesting? Rainwater harvesting is a technique used for collecting, storing and using rainwater for landscape irrigation and other uses.
- From where is rainwater collected? The rainwater is collected from various hard surfaces such as rooftops and/or other manmade aboveground hard surfaces.
- Is rainwater harvesting only for rural areas? No, it is not just for rural areas. Although urban households may be connected to a reticulated, treated (mains) water supply, rainwater harvesting can significantly lower mains water usage.
- What are the benefits of rainwater harvesting? It will reduce water bills, provide an alternative supply during water restrictions and help maintain a green, healthy garden. Rainwater harvesting can reduce mains water use by a substantial amount. Rainwater harvesting also decreases stormwater runoff, thereby helping to reduce local flooding and scouring of creeks.
- Will harvesting rainwater be more costly? No, after all, rainwater is FREE! Once you have a rainwater tank installed, and start using this water instead of mains water, you begin saving money on your water bill each and every month.
- What can harvested rainwater be used for? Rainwater can be used to flush toilets, do laundry, water the garden, wash cars, and more.
- Can I drink harvested rainwater? If your rainwater is to be used for human consumption, the system must be designed, operated and maintained to ensure the water quality is suitable.
Have your questions been answered here? If not, call us at 08 8444 8100 and we’ll happy to answer all of your questions.