Australians are urged to conserve water every day. However, the problem is not ours alone. A 2015 report by NASA states that 21 of the world’s 37 largest aquifers (underground reservoirs) have passed their sustainability tipping points, meaning more water was removed than replaced during the decade-long study period.
Aquifers can take thousands of years to fill up and only slowly recharge with water from snowmelt and rains. The NASA study found the Canning Basin in Australia’s western end had the third-highest rate of depletion in the world.
In 2007, the people of Adelaide were told that “critical human needs” might not be met in the future. Despite what many people believe, there is not an unending supply of water. It is imperative that we work together to conserve our water supply.
Aquifers supply roughly 35% of water used by humans worldwide. We need to find balance by removing less water than is added. Ri Industries blogs, such as this one, contain lots of simple tips for conserving water around the home.
Ri Industries concrete rainwater tanks are a great way to conserve water at home. The tanks can be installed above ground or below ground and they offer a number of advantages, such as:
- The water stays cooler.
- No algae develops.
- The water has no after-taste.
- They are bullet proof, vandal-proof and fire-proof.
- Being underground means they are out of sight and don’t take up much of your valuable real estate.
- Above ground tanks can be spray painted to fit in better with your surroundings.
- Concrete is stronger and more durable.
- Our reinforced concrete rainwater tanks are built to last and basically are maintenance free.
Learn more about our concrete rainwater tanks by calling us at 08 8444 8100.