Tending a garden in South Australia can be a challenge due to our dry climate, but it is possible to design a garden to use less water. The following tips come via Hunter Water and can be useful to help you design a dream garden for your home.
- Construct draining ditches so that they finish in garden beds.
- Paths and courtyards can be pitched to drain to garden beds
- Decks, gravel paths and gravel edges to paving can allow water to
soak into the ground.
- Minimise lawn areas with paving, paths, decking and garden beds.
- Minimise the number of pot plants as they dry out quickly and use more water than the same plant in the ground.
- Minimise evaporation by using trees, fences, garden walls and shade cloth.
- Mulch is magic for water saving. It reduces moisture loss but also suppresses weeds, maintains soil temperatures and generally improves the soil.
- Group similar plants according to their water needs and you will reduce your overall