Garden plants help to define spaces and provide shade, screening and privacy. While you want the plants to be attractive, here in South Australia it is important to choose plants that have low water needs.
To help you get started, Hunter Water has compiled a list of such plants which we share here:
- Small Trees: Crepe Myrtle, Medlar, Quince, Swamp Mallet, Willow Bottlebrush
- Screening Shrubs: Feijoa, Escallonia, Common Myrtle, Hillock Bush
- Small Shrubs: Gold Dust Wattle, Sage-Leaf Rock Rose, Native Fuchsia
- Ornamental Grasses: Feather Reed Grass, Turf Lily, Spiny-headed mat Rush, New Zealand Flax
- Lawn Grasses: Common Couch, Buffalo Grass, Weeping Grass
Ri Industries has additional tips to help reduce water use in the garden. Please read our blogs, “Design Your Garden to Use Less Water” and “Reduce Water Use in the Garden.”