There are many beautifully fragrant smells to enjoy in South Australia, but septic tank smells certainly are not on the list. In fact, you should not smell your septic tank at all. If you do notice a malodorous scent wafting from the direction of your septic tank, it may be an indication of something gone wrong. Let’s talk smells and what they might mean for your septic tank.
If you are smelling the odour from your septic tank on your property it is a sign that something has gone wrong and if not attended to it could lead to contaminated water supply and or dangerous situations.
- A smelly septic tank may mean a full or overflowing septic tank. The solution to this problem is simple. Call a professional and have your tank pumped. Most tanks are designed to be pumped every 4 years, but this will vary depending upon the size of the tank and the water usage of your home. Using more water than usual or expected average use will mean the tank will need to be pumped more often to reduce the septic smell.
- Another problem that may result in a smelly septic tank is a covered septic tank vent. This often happens when a home or landscape is remodeled or renovated after your septic tank was installed. Check to make sure the vents are uncovered and in best repair.
- Do you notice the odour is worse mostly after showering? If this is case, it most likely means the septic tank was not properly installed and may have been installed without any type of vent at all.
- A clogged drain can lead to dryness and when a drain is dry, the gases that are normally trapped and prevented from entering the home can seep in. If you suspect a drain is clogged, you need to call a plumber.
- Finally, an overly ripe septic tank can be caused by inappropriate items making their way into the system. Here is a list of things you shouldn’t let go down the drain:
- Cooking grease, oil or fat
- Industrial cleaning products
- Feminine hygiene products
- Antibiotics and other expired medications
- Anti-freeze, transmission fluid, or gasoline.
These can disrupt the sewage breakdown and cause pungent septic tank odours.
When installed and maintained properly, Ri-Industries septic tanks should not allow the natural bad odours they contain to escape. If you have questions about your septic tank, please call us at 08 8444 8100.