Considerations When Buying or Building a New House

by Ri Industries Ri Industries No Comments

Buying or building a new home is exciting, but it can also be a very daunting experience. There are many factors to consider such as number of bedrooms/bathrooms, neighbourhood, design, and more. Those are the fun factors which are a matter of choice. Then there are the structural and functional factors that need to be considered; not as fun, but in some ways, more important.

With so much to think about, you’ll be happy to learn that SA Water has provided some helpful tips on what questions you should ask when buying or building a new home:

  • When having a new home built, check that your builder has applied for water and sewerage connection on your behalf. If your contract with your builder doesn’t include a water and sewerage connection, you will need to apply for a connection.
  • If moving into a newly built home, if there is a connection, but no water meter on the property, you will need to apply for a meter.
  • Is your water meter accessible? Water meters must be kept free of obstructions so they can be read, maintained and periodically replaced. If the meter is partially buried or encased in concrete, you have to remove the obstruction or the meter may be relocated at your cost.
  • Is the property located in a dual water supply development? Prior to sale, each property must be checked to ensure no cross connection exists between the drinking water and recycled water supplies.
  • Is the water connection for the property located away from the property? If so, the property will have a special type of connection agreement. It’s important to note you are responsible for the maintenance and replacement of the water pipe between the meter and the property if repairs are required.
  • Does the property have a sewerage connection? Where is it located?
  • What is the condition of the drains connected to the sewerage connection?
  • Is there an external overflow point on the property? In the event of a blockage, an overflow relief gully may be required. This will allow the discharge to flow from the dwelling.

Are you buying or building a new home and have questions about septic systems? Call Ri-Industries, at 08 8444 8100, for answers.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *