Did you know that the kitchen uses around 10% of total household water consumption? To help you save water, Ri Industries offers the following tips:
- Dishwashers consume the most water in the kitchen. Look for the WELS label of water efficiency. The more stars, the more water efficient the appliance. Only run the dishwasher when it is full. If the dishwasher has a rinse-hold setting, use it in lieu of rinsing dishes with sink water.
- Do not run water over frozen food to defrost. Instead, defrost overnight in the refrigerator.
- Use washing-up liquid sparingly to limit the amount of rinsing required.
- Waiting for the running water to warm up? Catch it in a container and use it to water plants, rinse dishes, or wash fruits and vegetables.
- Use a plugged sink or a tub of water whenever possible to avoid running the tap.